RHYTHMS SCHOOL OF DANCE
CHILD PROTECTION POLICY
1. It is the policy of the school to provide efficient, up-to-date, enjoyable and safe
instruction in dance to all pupils who enrol in the school or join in the classes or
2. The premises and equipment will be checked regularly for any defects or faults
that exist or may have developed which might present hazards to any attending
3. The premises will be cleaned regularly to prevent any hazard to health from
accumulated dirt or rubbish.
4. All instruction will be geared to the previous experience and abilities of the
pupil(s) and no person will be required to perform movements beyond their
intrinsic capabilities. Staff will be sensitive to all pupils’ religious beliefs and
5. No energetic instruction will be given without pupils undergoing a “warm-up”
session, and after an energetic session completing a “warm-down” session.
6. If smoking is permitted it will be restricted to areas where ventilation is adequate
and to which young children will not be admitted.
7. A record will be kept of any incident in the school, injuries of any nature to staff or pupils and also of attendance.
8. No very young pupil will be allowed to leave the school premises until collected
by a parent, guardian or other adult authorised to do so by a parent or guardian.
A member of staff will remain on the premises until all pupils have left.
9. No pupil under age 16 will be driven home by a member of staff in his/her car
without the permission of a parent or guardian or in the event of an emergency.
10. Normally no member of staff will be alone with a young pupil for any substantial
period of time without the consent of a parent or other authorised person.
11. If appropriate, changing facilities will be provided. Where possible parents
should supervise their own children in the changing area otherwise supervision
will be by a Licensed Chaperone.
12. No child may be photographed or videoed without the consent of parent or
13. All staff will hold an up to date Enhanced Disclosure DBS Certificate.
14. Only suitably qualified persons will be employed in a teaching capacity while any
student engaged to assist with teaching will only work under the supervision of a
qualified member of staff.
15. In the event of activities outside the school premises the instructors will regard
themselves as being in “loco parentis” and, so far as applicable and within their
control, apply the preceding and subsequent guide lines as if the event was in
their own studio.
16. Teachers will avoid any unnecessary physical contact with pupils. However
parents should understand that some aspects of teaching involve some contact.
Where it is necessary teachers will use the utmost discretion and, in any event,
not do so without another adult in the room.
17. The school principal will ensure that she and the members of staff are
properly covered against incidents involving public liability and professional
18. The school principal undertakes not to be involve in misleading or false
19. No form of discrimination, by religion, colour, the child’s background and so on
will be tolerated in the school.
20. At all times, all staff will endeavour to keep the highest standards of instruction
and behaviour. The school principals retain the right to discharge from the
school any pupil who persistently disrupts the tuition, uses offensive language,
or other anti-social behaviour.
USEFUL CONTACT DETAILS
Rhythms School of Dance Voluntary Child Protection Officer
Lisa Petts (Kirklees Social Worker) 07833352801
NSPCC Helpline 0808 800 5000, email email@example.com, text 88858 (free service)